Saturday 4 January 2014

Inspiration from other soundtracks

I was very inspired when I set out today to begin making our soundtrack by the Horror Thriller movie, 28 Days Later, the composer was John Murphy and the track was named 'In the House, In a Heartbeat', although the song was composed for a Zombie movie, I still thought that it would work well in our opening sequence, especially the build up of tension in the opening 30 seconds. You can hear the song below:




Once I realised that a Zombie themed soundtrack would work well as inspiration I looked over other similar movies sharing the same genre, I also found that the theme for World War Z was something that I could take some ideas from, again the opening solitary piano works really well with a build up of instruments and this is what I hope to achieve. I found that only up to the minute mark was useful. See below:


I began to look further and I found that one other soundtrack gave me inspiration, however it does not come from a film, rather though a game designed by Naughty Dog. The game is called The Last of Us and it was a huge hit, again this is a zombie based sub genre of a Thriller/Horror. Having played the game, I know that it consists of a lot of cut scenes and it more based around a story telling rather than just shooting zombies. You can hear the main theme to the game below, composed by Gustavo Santaolalla:

What I liked most about this one was that it was more calm and did not build up to a huge collection of instruments just being loud, rather it expressed it with acoustic ones instead and is still very effective at building tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment